Prosecutor’s Office investigates into use of weapons by police in Zhanaozen 22 декабря 2011, 14:42
Photo by Maksim Popov©
Special investigation into the use of arms by police during clashes in Zhanaozen is being investigated, Tengrinews.kz reports citing Zhanaozen superintendant Amanzhol Kabylov.
“Special prosecutors are holding their own investigation, a separate statement will be made. Internal Security Department of Kazakhstan's Interior Ministry is holding an investigation into the facts of the use of arms. The statement will be published in the media,” superintendant told the journalists.
As for the number of victims, Kabylov once again said that 14 people had been killed in the clashes and asked to not mangle with this information. Other numbers remained the same: 8 arrested, 5 apprehended in suspicion of riots.
Superintendant added that investigation group of the General Prosecution Office has the weapons seized from the rioters during clashes. “Lots of arms used by the strikers have been seized. I cannot give the details yet,” he said.
Superintendant also commented on the video uploaded on the Internet showing the policeman shooting at people. According to Kabylov, special representative of Kazakhstan Prosecution office is checking this video, the department of internal security is also involved in this investigation. “The details of the investigation will also be announced via the media within a week,” he said.
According to the local residents, the situation in Zhanaozen has stabilized. People are moving around the town with no restrictions. the mess has been cleaned up, burnt cars were removed. “Cellular communications and Internet have been fully restored today. All the shops are open, the markets are operating, public transport is functioning. There was a problem with pharmacies, but they are also working already,” the superintendant added.
14 people fell victims to the clashes in Zhanaozen on December 16. The state of emergency was introduced in the town until 7:00 a.m. of January 5, 2012.