Russia has no plans of leaving Baikonur 31 августа 2011, 16:54
- Found a bug?
- Select it and press Ctrl + Enter
Baikonur cosmodrome. Stock photo of Tengrinews.kz
Russia relies on Baikonur cosmodrome in its space exploration projects, KazTag Agency quoted Vitaly Davydov, Vice Head of the Federal Space Agency of Russian Federation.
“It is more viable to accomplish some tasks from Baikonur [rather from the Vostochnyi cosmodrome to be launched in Russia]. Baikonur is our joint legacy”, Davydov said during the Moscow-Astana teleconference August 31.
“We have no plans of leaving Baikonur. The agreement for Russia to use the cosmodrome is valid through 2050”, he said.
Tengrinews.kz reported earlier that August 24 a cargo spaceship Progress M-12M launched from Baikonur crashed in the Altai Region.
Head of the National Space Agency Talgat Mussabayev stated that Kazakhstan would not introduce ban on launches from Baikonur following the M-12M crash.
Baikonur is the first and largest cosmodrome in the world. Located in Kazkahstan, it is rented out to Russia by 2050.
Baikonur is closer to the Equator than other launch sites – a situation that facilitates geostationary orbit or orbits less inclined to reach the International Space Station (ISS). This privileged geographic placement enables the launch of more significant payloads.
The cosmodrome has been rented out since 1994. Annual rent stands at $115 million. Russia pays in military equipment. $50 million is transferred annually to maintain the infrastructure.