'Harmony Lessons' screened at On the Edge film festival 25 сентября 2013, 12:40
- Found a bug?
- Select it and press Ctrl + Enter
A shot from 'Harmony Lessons' film
Harmony Lessons of Kazakhstan film director Emir Baigazin was included into the competition program of the International Sakhalin Film Festival On the Edge, Tengrinews.kz reports citing the official website of the festival.
9 films by filmmakers from 10 countries of the word made the main competition program of the 3rd Sakhalin Film Festival. They were:
- The Geographer Drank His Globe Away (Russia, director Alexander Veledinsky)
- A Long and Happy Life (Russia, director Boris Khlebnikov)
- Capturing Dad (Japan, director Ryota Nakano)
- Nobody's Daughter Haewon (South Korea, director Hong Sang-soo)
- Karaoke Girl (Thailand-USA, director Visra Vichit Vadakan)
- With You, Without You (Sri Lanka-India, director Prasanna Vithanage)
- Pipeline (Russia-Czech Rep.-Germany, director Vitali Mansky)
- Harmony Lessons (Kazakhstan-Germany-France, director Emir Baigazin)
- Thy Womb (Philippines, director Brillante Ma Mendoza)
Directors, producers and actors, whose films competed for the Grand Prix of the main contest at the festival ($30 thousand in prize money), were the festival’s special guests. Other awards include prizes for the Best Director, Best Actor and Actress as well as the special prize from the Honorary President of the 3rd SIFF On the Edge Alla Surikova, and the Audience Award.
Sakhalin Film Festival is an echo of the big world of cinema that resonates on the edge of the world. At the same time, it is an answer of the East to the questions of the West. It brings the latest trends from Cannes, Berlin and Venice to Sakhalin where they are embraced by the Asian cinema. Europe poses the question. Asia provides the answer. The world has long turned into a global village, but it doesn’t mean that there is no place for cultural originality in this world, the festival's organizers write. Unique places, unique experience and unique characters – this is the motto of Sakhalin International Film Festival of Asian Cinema.
Harmony Lessons of Emir Baigazin was the first Kazakhstan film included into the main program of the 2013 Berlinale Film Festival. The film won a Silver Bear for Artistic Achievement for its cinematographer Aziz Zhambakiyev and also got the prize of the Morgen Post newspaper. Harmony Lessons won the special jury prize for the Best Filmmaker’s Debut at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York and Grand-Prix of the Switzerland Film Festival in Basel.