Golovkin vs Ward camp: animosity growing?13 october 2015, 21:11
According to Ward, who has recently come back from a year long hiatus due to legal issues with his promoter, Golovkin's camp officially turned down the proposed fight.
"I have an email right now that shows that we gave him what he wanted, we'll give you 50/50, these are the terms, these are the conditions, and the promoter turned it down and said "maybe in 2017". So for now on he's Little G, "Ward said via SB Nations’s Fight Hub TV.
In turn, when asked to comment on Ward's accusations, Sanchez called Ward a liar.
"Andre Ward's a liar. When he sent that email, it was after the Lemieux fight had already signed. So he's a liar. Secondly, we’ve been trying to get Andre Ward to come to some kind of agreement for the last couple years. First, he was in trouble with (promoter) Goossen, they were suing each other and Goossen beat him three times. Then he signed with Roc Nation. Go back and look at the transcripts; the first thing Roc Nation said was he needs two tune-up fights. Then he fights one at 172. We as Golvokin’s team cannot sit around waiting for Andre Ward to make up his mind what he wants to do," Sanchez said via badlefthook.com.
Sanchez added that Ward needed to get fights going to keep the interest from the fans growing or else he would not be relevant for Triple G.
Earlier, Golovkin's promoter Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions said that Roc Nations’ offer came after the announcement of the Golovkin-Lemiuex fight and that the promotion company was fully aware of the WBC conditions set for the Kazakhstani boxer as the WBC Interim titleholder.
After the "liar" comment from Sanchez, Ward’s lawyer Josh Dubin said that Sanchez insulted his client and there would be actions taken in this regards.
"Andre is a man and a professional fighter of the highest integrity, so when he sees or hears these comments or we see or hear these comments – 99% of the time we just ignore them and just chalk it up to people just trying to use his name to promote their own event. And we understand that and it’s fine if they want to do that. But Abel Sanchez crossed a line when he called him a liar. I’m not going to stand by and allow someone to insult my friend and my client’s integrity and professionalism by calling him a liar when it is completely untrue. Abel Sanchez would be well served to get himself an attorney, because if he continues to make comments like that or doesn’t retract what he said – he’ll be walking out one day to take his "Little G" on a run and there will be a process server standing there to hand him a lawsuit," Dubin told Boxingscene.com.
With the growing animosity between the two camps and different schedules for the upcoming fights, Golovkin and Ward are not very likely to face each other in the ring soon. Triple G is facing IBF champion David Lemieux on October 17 to unify middleweight titles at the Madison Square Garden. Meanwhile, according to Boxingscene.com, Andre Ward will be probably debuting at 175 pounds as an undercard for the Canelo-Cotto fight on November 21.
Meanwhile, in preparation for the fight against Lemieux, Golovkin took part in Max Kellerman's Face Off on HBO.
Triple G faces Lemieux at 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT in the Madison Square Garden ring for his first PPV fight.
By Gyuzel Kamalova