• Спецпроекты
  • Weather forecast
    • Exchange Rates
    • 424.4
    • 504.6
    • 5.92
  • SEND YOUR NEWS TO US WhatsApp +7 (777) 001 44 99
  1. Main
  2. Learn
  3. Sport
  4. Sport

Golovkin calls out Cotto for unification bout, Chavez bets $1 million on a KO 24 февраля 2015, 19:41

The WBA Super, WBC Interim and IBO middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin announced his decision to unify all middleweight titles after defeating Martin Murray the past Saturday in Monte Carlo
  • ПОДЕЛИТЬСЯ
  • Vkontakte
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Одноклассники
  • Telegram
Новостью поделились: человек

Golovkin defeats Murray. Photo courtesy of vk.com/ggolovkin Golovkin defeats Murray. Photo courtesy of vk.com/ggolovkin

The WBA Super, WBC Interim and IBO middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin announced his decision to unify all middleweight titles after defeating Martin Murray the past Saturday in Monte Carlo, Tengrinews reports citing Vesti.kz.

“My goal is all the belts. I need unification fight,” Golovkin retweeted via HBOboxing.

His upcoming fight is scheduled to May and will most likely take place in the USA. After defeating Murray, Golovkin called out Miguel Cotto, the holder of the full WBC middleweight championship belt. With his interim title, Golovkin is the main contender for the WBC middleweight title.

Golovkin stated that in case Cotto agreed to fight, the unification bout would take place sometime in June.

"If he were only fighting once a year and not getting a big fight, it would be very frustrating, but Gennady fights so often and stays so active, that it takes some of the sting out of it. We want the big fights and Gennady has said he is willing to move up in weight to get them. But it takes two guys to want to fight,” Tom Loeffler, Golovkin’s promoter said via Yahoo!Sports.

After the Golovkin-Murray fight, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr posted on his social media: “Without his power he’s not that good of a boxer, I’ll bet you GGG a million dollar of the purse that I’ll knock you out if we fight. Come to my weight class @GGGBoxing, 168 or 170. But first, I need to beat Andrzej Fonfara and (he) is bigger and stronger (than Golovkin)”.

In respone, Golovkin said that he was ready to face Chavez. "Oh, right now, my focus is 160 because my goal is all the belts in middleweight division. Of course I'm ready for Chavez Jr. I want this fight with him," Triple G said via badlefthook.com

But since Golovkin wants to fight in May, Chavez who is facing Fonfara on April 18, won't be available for a fight a month later. Then again, Chavez does not hold the WBC middleweight title any more. He lost his title to Sergio Martinez in 2012. The Argentinian, in turn, lost the WBC title to Miguel Cotto last year. 

By Gyuzel Kamalova



Nobel prizewinner proposes a new city in KZ
New abnormal snowfalls expected in Kazakhstan
Huge glacier retreat triggered in 1940s
Hyperloop construction begins in Las Vegas
"Moonlight" to top Spirit Awards nominations
Oil prices fall due to investors uncertainty
New dwarf galaxy discovered around Milky Way
Kanat Islam becomes a top ten WBO boxer
World oil prices continue to rise
Kazakhstan expects warming - Kazhydromet
Merkel to seek fourth term as chancellor
Sale of Tintin drawings set to break records
US, EU stocks fall as markets focus on dollar
Pacific leaders urged to defend free trade
EU warns eight nations on budget deficit
Universiade-2017: Athletic Village is ready
Bob Dylan can't make Nobel ceremony
Messi will never leave Barca - club president
Google, Facebook take aim at 'fake' news
Aerosmith announces Europe 'farewell' tour
Putin, Trump to normalise US-Russia ties
At least 10 hurt in southern Turkey blast
6.2 quake hits western Japan