Sony revives US release of 'The Interview' after hack 24 декабря 2014, 16:12
- Subscribe to the TengriNews news channel:
- Google News
- Яндекс Новости
- Email рассылка
- Found a bug?
- Select it and press Ctrl + Enter
Sony said Tuesday it will release madcap comedy "The Interview" in some US theaters on Christmas Day, after it canceled the movie's debut following threats blamed on North Korea, AFP reports.
"We have never given up on releasing 'The Interview' and we're excited our movie will be in a number of theaters on Christmas Day," said Michael Lynton, CEO of Sony Entertainment.
He said the film would be released on more "platforms" and in more theaters in the future.
A movie theater in Atlanta and a Texas-based chain of cinemas were among the first to announce plans to show the film, but it remained unclear if any major exhibitor would take the movie.
Sony's decision marks a dramatic U-turn by the studio after last week it announced plans to cancel the movie's release following threats by North Korea against theaters showing the film.
The movie about a plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un had enraged the isolated Stalinist state, which was blamed by the United States for paralysing Sony with a devastating cyber assault.
However Sony's decision to cancel the movie was criticised by President Barack Obama and a legion of high-profile figures throughout the entertainment industry.
"We cannot have a society in which some dictator someplace can start imposing censorship here in the United States," Obama said on Friday, describing Sony's decision as a "mistake."
Comedian Seth Rogen, the movie's co-director, lead actor and screenwriter, hailed Sony's volte face.
"The people have spoken! Freedom has prevailed! Sony didn't give up! The Interview will be shown at theaters willing to play it on Xmas day!" he wrote on Twitter.