Jia Zhangke and Pavel Chukhrai award 'Harmony Lessons' with best director 25 сентября 2013, 13:23
- Found a bug?
- Select it and press Ctrl + Enter
Awards of Emir Baigazin. Photo courtesy of Kazakhfilm
Harmony Lessons of Kazakhstan film director Emir Baigazin received The Best Director award at the 3d International Sakhalin Film Festival On the Edge in late August, Tengrinews.kz reports citing the press-service of Kazakhfilm
Emir Baigazin got 250 000 rubles ($7400) in prize money. A member of the jury and Golden Lion holder Chinese film director Jia Zhangke, who praised the Kazakhstan film, handed him the award during the closing ceremony.
Besides Baigazin's Harmony Lessons, 8 films by filmmakers from 10 countries competed in the main program of the 3rd Sakhalin Film Festival. They were:
- The Geographer Drank His Globe Away (Russia, director Alexander Veledinsky)
- A Long and Happy Life (Russia, director Boris Khlebnikov)
- Capturing Dad (Japan, director Ryota Nakano)
- Nobody's Daughter Haewon (South Korea, director Hong Sang-soo)
- Karaoke Girl (Thailand-USA, director Visra Vichit Vadakan)
- With You, Without You (Sri Lanka-India, director Prasanna Vithanage)
- Pipeline (Russia-Czech Rep.-Germany, director Vitali Mansky)
- Thy Womb (Philippines, director Brillante Ma Mendoza)
The Geographer Drank His Globe Away of Alexander Veledinsky got the Audience Award. The Grand-Prix of the festival was given to the film Capturing Dad by Ryota Nakano. The movie With You, Without You of Prasanna Vithanage received Prize from Guild of film experts and critics. Russian film director Pavel Chukhrai chaired the jury.
Harmony Lessons of Emir Baigazin won a Silver Bear for Artistic Achievement for its cinematographer Aziz Zhambakiyev and also got the prize of the Morgen Post newspaper. Harmony Lessons won the special jury prize for the Best Filmmaker’s Debut at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York and Grand-Prix of the Switzerland Film Festival in Basel. Recently, the new project The Wounded Angel of Emir Baigazin was selected for production and distribution funding by the international Berlinale Residency fellowship program.