Expedition to K2 divided into 2 groups because of bad weather 15 августа 2011, 19:02
Expedition to K2. ©National Georraphic/Gerlinde Kaltenbrunner
Participants of the expedition to K2 have divided into two groups and are waiting for a better weather in the Italian and Chinese camps, Kazakhstan alpinist Maksut Zhumayev told Tengrinews.kz. “Vassiliy and our photographer Tommy managed to get down to the Chinese camp at 3,800 meters while the weather was still more or less good. There is grass and bushes over there. There are all the conditions for restoring energy and preparing for the final trip. But we can't to go down to the camp. It has been snowing all morning and it is raining right now,” the alpinist said. Other members of the group are waiting for a better weather in the Italian camp. According to Zhumayev, the stands in the canteen tent were broken by snow, but the alpinists have managed to fix everything. Kazakhstan sportsman also said that the forecasts promise a better weather that will allow them to start the final trip to the mount soon. “Bad weather period is shortening, while the one of good weather is increasing. This dynamics is positive and we hope it goes on like this. We currently fully depend on the weather,” he complained. The alpinist noted that should there be heavy snow at night in the Italian camp, the sportsmen will have to be on duty and watch for the canteen tent not to get broken for the second time. According to Zhumayev, August 13 the participants saw the sun for the first time in the last few days. The alpinists' mood was also improved by fresh vegetables and a box of beer brought from the Chinese camp. Earlier Tengrinews.kz English reported that sportsmen are planning to start their final trip to Chogori not earlier than on August 16. The expedition managed to set the camp at 8,000 meters, but had to go back to the Italian camp because of bad weather. Chogori is located in the Karakorum mountain system in Kashmir province at the territory of Pakistan. Its height is 8,611 meters.