WBC wants the winner of Cotto-Canelo to fight Golovkin29 мая 2015, 13:40
The WBC President Suleiman agreed to let Miguel Cotto, the reigning WBC middleweight champion, have a voluntary defence fight against the Australian boxer Daniel Geale instead of the mandatory WBC Interim titleholder Golovkin. The Cotto-Geale is scheduled to June 6.
“Cotto has to get by on June 6 (against Geale), there are already talks of a fight with Canelo September or October. We have been in communication with Golovkin. He understands the importance of a fight (like) Cotto-‘Canelo ‘that was scheduled for May and did not happen. We are trying to mediate with all parties for two big fights, Cotto with ‘Canelo’ and the winner with Golovkin,” Sulaiman said via ESPN.
But even thought Cotto can fight Canelo instead of Golovkin, it cannot be a title fight.
“It’s clear from the WBC, it’s mandated, that the winner of Cotto and Geale has to fight Gennady next. Cotto can fight Canelo…absolutely no problem, but he can’t fight for the WBC title, he can’t defend the WBC title unless he has an agreement with Gennady and so far we do not have an agreement in place, so we’ll see what happens. If he fights Canelo without permission, he will then vacetr the title and Gennady becomes the champion which is his goal, and he’ll keep defeding that,” Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler said via BoxingScene.com.
Earlier at The Forum in Los Angeles, Triple G has KOed the American southpaw Willie Monroe Jr in the 6th round.
By Gyuzel Kamalova