Tengrinews TV Радио Tengri FM Радио Жұлдыз FM Laws of Kazakhstan
KZ RU EN
Write us +7 (727) 388 8020 +7 (717) 254 2710
искать через Tengrinews.kz
искать через Google
искать через Yandex
USD / KZT - 336.23
EUR / KZT - 360.30
CNY / KZT - 48.86
RUB / KZT - 5.28

Central Bank Governor on pension reforms

20 may 2013, 12:17
0
Chairman of Kazakhstan National Bank Gregory Marchenko. Photo by Yaroslav Radlovskiy©
Chairman of Kazakhstan National Bank Gregory Marchenko. Photo by Yaroslav Radlovskiy©
Users of social networks actively opposing to the pension reforms currently under way, including the suggestion to raise the retirement age for women from 58 to 63 years old, do not reflect the opinion of the population at large, Newskaz.ru reports, citing the Central Bank Governor Gregory Marchenko as saying May 17.

“It’s quite understandable that each of us has some female relatives of about 57 years old counting months left before retirement [currently women retire at 58]. Should we have a sober look, each of us has dozens of acquaintances willing to work beyond 58”, Mr. Marchenko said.

Head of the Central Bank cited Senator Svetlana Dzhalmagambetova as an example of women working after they turn 58. “She is 65. She is one of the most active senators (…) there are many more examples of women working as medical doctors, teachers, office employees … they are too busy to surf the Internet and run their blogs. They are busy doing real thing. Judging from debates on social networks one may get an impression that most people are opposed to raising the retirement age for women. That’s not the case. Bloggers are far from representing the true variety of opinions”, he believes.

He emphasized that 90% of active Internet users in Kazakhstan are concentrated in Astana and Almaty, with the two cities having nothing to do with oil production, steel and zinc production, cattle farming.

According to Mr. Marchenko, raising the retirement age for women is not impairing women’s rights.

“It’s not unfairness towards women. This measure can be seen as restoration of fairness with regards to men. 72% of the current retired people are females with the other 28% being males. According to the State Agency for Statistics, men live 13 years after retirement, whereas women live 20.8 years on average. Given all that, 45% of women’s pension allowances are subsidized at the expense of men’s pension allowances.

Central Bank Governor Gregory Marchenko emphasized that the ratio of working people to the retired stands at 2.1 to 1. According to him, “by 2050 the ratio will stand at 1 to 1 if nothing changes”. He believes that any postponement of the pension reform will only aggravate the problem.

Нравится
Add comment
Most Read
Most Discussed