34,000 education grants up for taking in Kazakhstan in 201425 july 2014, 17:54
Kazakhstan government is providing 34,165 education grants this year, Tengrinews reports citing Vice-Minister of Education Tarik Balykbayev as saying at yesterday's briefing.
"34,165 education grants are up for taking this year: 31,035 for full-time study, and 500 for extramural studies and foundation courses. The largest portion of the grants - 12,000 - are for engineering majors, 5,864 grants are for degrees in education, and 2,650 are for degrees in agricultural sciences and veterinary," he said.
Besides, there are several sets of country-specific and university-specific grants:
- 200 grants for foreign students from Turkic-speaking countries to study in Yassawi Kazakh-Turkish University in Turkestan in southern Kazakhstan.
- 125 grants for students from Kazakhstan to study in the Kazakhstan-based offshoot of Lomonosov Moscow State University in Astana,
- 550 grants for students to study in the Nazarbayev University in Astana,
- 25 grants for Mongolian students to study in the Eastern Kazakhstan University in Ust-Kamenogorsk, and
- 54 grants for students from Afghanistan to study in Kazakhstani universities.
Besides, 770 grants are for art universities.
There is a list of Kazakhstani universities defined by the Minister of Education that enroll holders of state grants for their bachelor courses. There are a total of 69 universities on the list, the Vice-Minister said.
Grants are distributed through a competition. Applications are accepted on July 23-31 and in the beginning of August a special compassion will choose the best students from among the applicants and award the grants.
Reporting by Altynai Zhumzhumina, writing by Assel Satubaldina, editing by Tatyana Kuzmina