Golovkin still interested in fighting retired Froch: Sanchez 17 ноября 2015, 17:13
Gennady Golovkin, the WBA Super, IBO, IBF and WBC Interim middleweight champion from Kazakhstan is still interested in facing British former super-middleweight champion Carl Froch, Tengrinews reports citing Abel Sanchez, the trainer of the Kazakhstani boxer.
The British boxer announced his retirement earlier in June after a year of inactivity. The last fight took place in May 2014, when Froch defeated George Groves in front of 80 thousand fans at Wembly Stadium.
Despite negotiations between promoters Eddie Hearn and Tom Loeffler, the fight between Froch and Golovkin was not finalized.
However, Hearn, in his recent interview with BoxingScene.com stated that Froch had expressed interest in Golovkin again. This could be a sign of a big return for Froch. "Carl phoned me for my opinion on the Golovkin fight. Something burns away at Carl to get back in the ring," Hearn also told Fighthype.com.
In turn, Golovkin, according to coach Sanchez, is willing to face Froch at any location. "Carl Froch is a guy that we've always respected. Golovkin respects him tremendously for what he's accomplished. I think the fact that he's such a glow in England and filled up the Wembley Stadium when he fought George Groves, he still is somebody that Golovkin would love to fight because of that," Sanchez told On The Ropes Boxing Radio.
"Golovkin is looking for the biggest names, the biggest fights, the biggest financial reward fights for him and Carl represents one of those. Whether it's in England, whether it's in New York or Las Vegas, I think that Golovkin is willing to go anywhere to fight Carl Froch," Sanchez concluded.
Meanwhile, Golovkin, the official WBC title contender is waiting for the results of the fight between Miguel Cotto, the WBC middleweight champion and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez that takes place on November 21 in Las Vegas.
By Gyuzel Kamalova