Syrian opposition proposes holding second round of consultations in Astana
Syrian opposition is in favor of holding one more round of consultations in Astana, Tengrinews reports citing RIA Novosti quoting the leader of the Movement for a Pluralistic Society Randa Kassis as saying.
"All the representatives of the opposition groups have agreed to come to Astana once more to continue the talks," she said.
Earlier in April, Syrian opposition asked Kazakhstan to become a mediator in the Syrian talks. Kazakhstan agreed to provide a platform for the consultations, which were held in Astana between May 25 and 27. These were attended by more than 30 people, who were the leaders and representatives of various opposition forces of Syria, as well as representatives of civil society and independent opposition groups. Government members did not participate in the consultations.
After the meeting in Astana the representatives of Syrian opposition emphasized the need for a united front to combat terrorism in the country. The parties also agreed to a joint declaration.
"The participants call for a unified social, political and military front against terrorism," the text of the final declaration said. It called for withdrawal of all militants who are not citizens of the country and revival of the country's army.
The participants of the meeting were also discussing delivery of humanitarian aid to Syria and development of an action plan to settle the conflict.
According to the leader of the Movement for Pluralistic Society Randa Kassis, foreign mercenaries were one of the key points of contention between the opposition groups.
Before Astana, the opposition groups held talks in Moscow, but those did not produce any significant progress.
Writing by Dinara Urazova, editing by Tatyana Kuzmina