Nobody can have Russia and Kazakhstan having rows: Kazakhstan’s Foreign Minister 25 января 2013, 19:44
- Found a bug?
- Select it and press Ctrl + Enter
Kazakhstan’s Foreign Minister Erlan Idrissov. Photo courtesy of kursiv.kz
Foreign Ministers of Russia and Kazakhstan commented on heated media speculations over the Baikonur cosmodrome, a Tengrinews.kz journalist reports.
When commenting on the note sent by his Ministry to Kazakhstan in relation to the reduced number of Proton carrier rocket launches from Baikonur, Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that “I wouldn’t tag the situation a dispute (…) There is nothing outstanding in exchange of notes. Exchange of notes is a regular practice on a wide range of issues that are likely to arise given the large scale of cooperation between Kazakhstan and Russia”.
“Some issues arise all the time. One of them has to do with Kazakhstan’s concern over the adverse environment effect of the launches. The Russian side is doing everything possible to reduce the environment impact. Proton carrier rockets have already been modernized. It’s not the first year we have coordinated the number of launches. There is nothing sensational (…) merely a regular issue to solve”, Mr. Lavrov believes.
He reminded that a special intergovernmental committee to regulate all the Baikonur-related issues had been created. “Today we have agreed to pursue constructive solutions to all issues related to operation of Baikonur”, he summed up.
Kazakhstan’s Foreign Minister supported his counterpart, saying that “there is no scandal, no sensation, no rows between Kazakhstan and Russia over Baikonur. I’ve seen many comments and keen interest of the media (…) misleading stories have been multiplied. I even saw some headlines stating that Baikonur is an apple of discord between Kazakhstan and Russia. I want to emphasize that nobody can have Russia and Kazakhstan having rows. The two nations are concertedly following a future-oriented path … that is the attitude at the highest level and at the level of common people”, Mr. Idrissov said.
He briefed that in 5 days Kazakhstan’s Vice PM Kairat Kelimbetov, co-chairman of the intergovernmental committee for Baikonur issues, would be travelling to Moscow.
“His visit is not a response to the scandal. It is a meeting planned long ago. The sides will be discussing all the range of issues related to Baikonur (…) We have agreed with Mr. Lavrov, Russia’s Foreign Minister, to slacken the pother around Baikonur in the media (…)”.
Earlier TengriNews reported that the official Moscow demanded to explain what Mr. Mussabayev meant saying that Kazakhstan was having talks with Russia to stagedly edge away from Baikonur lease. Besides, December 28, 2012 the Kazakh Government approved a schedule of launches from Baikonur that outraged the Russian side. The number of Proton carrier rockets launches has been reduced from 14 to 12.