UN 'outrage' over South Sudan base attack19 april 2014, 17:05
The United Nations Security Council expressed "outrage" Friday and demanded the South Sudan government prevent attacks on its bases and civilians in the war-torn country after dozens of people were killed, AFP reports.
The world body said earlier in the day that at least 58 people were killed and more than 100 others wounded in an attack against one of its bases in South Sudan sheltering thousands of civilians.
"The members of the Security Council condemned in the strongest terms these acts and underscored that attacks on civilians and UN peacekeepers may constitute a war crime," said a statement that was adopted unanimously by all Security Council members.
It added: "The members of the Security Council called on the government of South Sudan to immediately take steps to ensure the safety of all civilians and UNMISS Protection of Civilian sites in South Sudan, to swiftly investigate these incidents, and to bring the perpetrators of these egregious acts to justice."
About 5,000 people were inside the base of the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), in the war-ravaged town of Bor, when gunmen posing as peaceful protestors stormed the facility.
They opened fire on terrified civilians who have sought refuge with the UN from a wave of ethnic violence, with the apparent aim of killing as many people as possible.