Cotto and Alvarez won't stand against Golovkin for 12 rounds: Sanchez04 january 2015, 12:56
“Cotto doesn’t go five rounds with Golovkin. Canelo doesn’t go eight. At 160 pounds, there’s no one that’s going to go 12 rounds with him. Canelo will take the fight, but then you have Oscar (De La Hoya) saying he’ll be ready in a couple of years. (…) The WBC has mandated that the winner of whoever Cotto fights in May has to fight Gennady or give up the belt. If Cotto fights Canelo and gives up the belt and does not fight Golovkin, then I think his legacy will be tarnished,” Sanchez said.
Golovkin (31-0, 28 KO’s) has 90% KOs, the highest ratio among middleweight boxers. In 2014 the Kazakhstani boxer KOed all three of his opponents – Osumanu Adama, Daniel Geale and Marco Antonio Rubio.
His first fight in 2015 is scheduled on February 21, in Monte Carlo, Monaco against Martin Murray (29-1-1, 13KO’s), two-time world title challenger from the UK.
So far, Murray will be Golovkin’s toughest opponent. On October 25 Murray defeated Dominic Spada in the 5th round.
“It was a very busy time these last few weeks but I liked spending time with the media and fans all over the world. I look forward to starting training camp with my coach and putting on another great show in Monte Carlo,” said Golovkin at the World Boxing Council Convention in Las Vegas earlier.
Photo © twitter.com/abelthesummit
By Gyuzel Kamalova