Andre Ward on Gennady Golovkin and possible fight speculations10 august 2014, 12:52
Andre Ward, 30, WBA and The Ring super middleweight champion has shared his opinion about the situation with Gennady Golovkin and talks about the Ward-Golovkin fight, Tengrinews reports citing Allboxing.ru.
Talks about the fight between the unbeaten champions Ward and Golovkin have been circulating for some time already. Earlier this year, Golovkin said that even though he wanted to fight Ward, he felt the timing was not right.
“My thing with Golovkin is I have nothing against Golovkin. I actually like Golovkin. I like his approach to the game. He is humble and the kid can go, I have never disputed his skill set. He is a silver medalist. He has heavy hands and he is a good fighter. We don’t know how good he is. We don’t know how good any of us are until you fight the best. He hadn’t had that opportunity yet,” Ward said.
As for the numerous talks surrounding their possible fight, Ward said that if there was a fight he would take it. “My thing is there’s something there and if we are going to fight then lets fight and if not, just be honest with the fans. And they clarified that so I am good. I am okay now, I am moving on. He said he is cleaning out 160 so I wish him nothing but the best,” the American boxer said.
After Golovkin crushed the former Australian champ Daniel Geale in the third round, Vesti.kz reported that Bernard Hopkins, 49, expressed his interest in fighting the Kazakhstani boxer. Hopkins had earlier defeated another Kazakhstani Beibut Shumenov.
“(Golovkin) is a good fighter, not great fighter, he would have to prove that (he's a great fighter) if he gets me,” Hopkins said. His next fight is scheduled to November 8 against Russian Sergey Kovalev.
By Gyuzel Kamalova