Day 10 - August 607 августа 2012, 10:02
Quotes of the day from the Olympic Games on Monday:
"It's probably crazy at home right now. There's probably a huge road party right now in the streets so I don't think there's any words that can describe the celebration."
- - Kirani James, 19, after winning the men's 400m gold to give Grenada a first Olympic medal.
Grenada's Kirani James. ©AFP
"It's just an amazing feeling. Then when I was on the podium and it started raining, it felt like my grandmother was crying tears of joy."
-- Felix Sanchez, who posted an emotional win in the 400m hurdles, four years after failing to make it out of the heats in Beijing on the day he learned his grandmother had died.
Dominican Republic's Felix Sanchez. ©AFP
"It's kind of sad that people have a great swim and that's the first thing they say."
- - US swimming great Michael Phelps on the speculation surrounding Chinese teenager Ye Shiwen.
US swimmer Michael Phelps. ©AFP
"It means a lot. We have come a long way from when we were in the third level of FIBA. This was the vision we had. We've taken steps in the right direction."
- - British NBA star Luol Deng after Great Britain beat China 90-58 for their first ever Olympic basketball victory.
British forward Luol Deng. ©AFP
"As the world comes together in London to celebrate the Games and the values it represents, it is right that we should stop and remember the 11 Israeli athletes who so tragically lost their lives when those values came under attack in Munich 40 years ago today."
- - British Prime Minister David Cameron, urging the world to remember the 1972 Munich Olympics massacre on the 40gh anniversary of the incident in which 11 Israelis were killed.
Britain's Prime Minister David Cameron. ©AFP
"I'm definitely not the sailor I was back then. I was a bit younger and a lot cockier."
- - Australian sailor Tom Slingsby, who nevertheless won the men's Laser class gold Monday -- four years after failing to medal in Beijing.
Australia's Tom Slingsby. ©AFP
"It is just fantastic. I was crying before the shoot-off started because I realised that at least a silver medal was 100 percent for me. I did not expect gold."
- - Croatian shooter Giovanni Cernogoraz, whose trap victory was his country's first Olympic shooting gold and just their fifth Olympic gold overall.
Croatia's Giovanni Cernogoraz. ©AFP
"My wife is here and I could hear her screaming. She has got a very high-pitched voice."
- - Japanese middleweight boxer Ryota Murata after reaching the semi-finals.
Ryota Murata of Japan. ©AFP
"If I were to wake up in the middle of the night I would have no problems with that weight."
- - Polish favourite Marcin Dolega, who went out of the 105kg weightlifting without managing a single lift. He failed three times to snatch 190kg.
Poland's Marcin Dolega. ©AFP