Brands that made Kazakhstan image12 июля 2012, 12:35
Every country has its own image factors, its face. This face is made of a range of recognizable brands, both positive and negative. For example, the U.S. is associated with dollar, democracy and McDonald’s. Russia associates with gas, Gorbachev, Putin, matreshka and winter. Afghanistan is known for drugs, Taliban and Al-Qaeda.
1. Oil. The majority of people around the world associate Kazakhstan with oil. First Kazakhstan oil was produced in November 1899. Currently the annual oil production stands at around 81 million tons in Kazakhstan. According to the forecasts, the country has enough recoverable oil reserves for the next 50-60 years.
Photo courtesy of altaynews.kz
2. Baikonur. It is the first and the largest cosmodrome in the world located at the territory of Kazakhstan. The first satellite was launched and the first man went into space from Baikonur. Over a half of the world’s space launches have been made from this cosmodrome.
Baikonur cosmodrome. ©RIA Novosti
3. Nursultan Nazarbayev. The majority of people in the world associate Kazakhstan with Nazarbayev, the first and the only president of the country. He was first elected in April 1990 was re-elected several times after that. Nazarbayev has an official status of the First President of Kazakhstan, the Leader of Nation.
Kazakhstan President Nursultan Nazarbayev. Photo courtesy of Kazakhstan President's press-service©
4. Chairmanship in the OSCE and the OSCE Summit in Astana. In 2010 Kazakhstan was the first CIS country to chair the OSCE. The final stage of its chairmanship included holding the OSCE Summit in Astana. It was participated by heads of the countries and the governments, as well as top officials of 56 OSCE member-countries, 12 partner-countries and other international and regional organizations.
5. Pro Team Astana cycling team. The team started its history from the victory of Aleksander Vinokourov in Vuelta-2006. A year later the team’s leader Alberto Contador won Tour De France-2007. In 2008 Contador won Giro d-Italia and Vuelta and became the fifth cyclist in the history who won all three grand tours. In 2009 Astana signed a sensational contract with the famous American cyclist, 7-time winner of Tour de France, Lance Armstrong. Pro Team Astana won first places several times both in individual and team classifications.
Pro Team Astana. ©AFP
6. Nevada-Semipalatinsk. 20 years ago opinion leader Olzhas Suleimenov organized the anti-nuclear movement. Semipalatinsk nuclear site was closed on August 29, 1991 thanks to his efforts.
A scale replica of the nuclear test site is seen in a museum in Kurchatov, former command centre of the Semipalatinsk testing range. ©REUTERS/Shamil Zhumatov
7. Borat. A movie character, “Kazakhstan” journalist who went to the U.S. to make a video about this “greatest country in the world”. The movie is filled with vulgar jokes and mutilated facts. Critics call it a comedy. The movie became very popular around the world. Those who had no idea about Kazakhstan now know about it in the interpretation of Sacha Baron Cohen. Yerzhan Kazykhanov, Kazakhstan’s Foreign Minister, declared that the movie had increased the flow of tourists to Kazakhstan 10-fold.
Snapshot of Borat movie
8. Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions. It is held in Astana once every three years, starting from 2003. Back then it was participated by 17 delegations from different religious confessions of the world. The 4th Congress in June 2012 was participated by 87 delegations from 40 countries.
4th Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions. Photo by Danial Okassov©
9. Asian Winter Games. On January 5, 2006, Almaty was chosen to host the 7th Asian Winter Games and on October 29, 2007, the decision was made to hold part of the competitions in Astana. Astana hosted ice tournaments: figure skating, men’s hockey, speed skating and short track. Skiing, mountain skiing, ski jumping, biathlon and women’s hockey tournaments were held in Almaty. Little panther Irbi became the symbol of the Games. Kazakhstan spent $1.65 billion on the Games, while the profits from selling the tickets did not exceed $300 thousand.
Golden medal of Asian Winter Games 2011. Photo by Yaroslav Radlovskiy©
10. Club of the Funny and Inventive team. This is the funniest brand of Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan project team appeared in the Supreme League of the Club in 2000. The team won the second place in the first game but failed to get to the finals. In 2001 the team was renamed to Astana Team but performed only as guests because of insufficient preparation. The team showed good results in the next three years but never took the first place. In 2005 the team was rebranded to Astana.kz and in 2006 young people managed to get into the semi-finals for the first time and scored the third place. In 2010 a team called Kazakhs appeared, but it lacked 0.6 point to win the final.
Club of the Funny and Inventive team. Photo courtesy of the team
Source: Vlast Magazine